Eighty years is a long time in the history of any institution and is an apt occasion to look back at the journey so far of that institution. An educational institution in a verdant green corner of the Doon valley where many well known people went to as their first little school has today grown into a larger institution, moving from “strength to strength” over the last eight decades.
Welham Boys’ School, one of the renowned residential public schools in the country, turns 80 this January .Welham was founded in January 1937 as a preparatory school for boarding schools in England and India by Hersilia Susie Oliphant, an English lady, with a capital of £1000. Over the past eighty years, the school has grown into an institution preparing boys for the CBSE examination.
The place was done up and the first boy to join the Welham Boys Prep School in January 1937 was Maqbool Hussain Khan. Miss Oliphant’s dream of a residential kindergarten and prep school for Indian children was finally realized. She was then 54 years old. There were only six boys to begin with. The year 1938 saw 30 boarders and twenty day scholars.
The school was founded as a preparatory school for boarding schools in England and India by Miss Oliphant, with a humble capital of £1000. Named by Miss Oliphant after her girlhood home , the Welham village in Nottinghamshire, this boys’ school has indeed come a very long way from its sheltered existence as a little prep school in the quiet Dalanwala area of the Doon valley. It has gone from “Strength to Strength”, as says its motto. It kept sending its boys to other schools like The Doon School and Mayo College after Class 5, for many years -till 1980 .The first Class Ten batch appeared for boards in 1985.
The school is spread over 30 acres and has a spectacular view of the Himalayan hills. The School Magazine titled “The Oliphant” is brought out by the student-editors.