In an unfortunate incident of food poisoning, nine students of a government school at Deoli of Delhi were hospitalised on Thursday, after they consumed mid-day meal in which, allegedly dead rat was found. Delhi Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Manish Sisodia asserted that an FIR would be registered against the meal supplier and they would be blacklisted.
Post visiting the Madan Mohan Malviya Hospital in Malviya Nagar on Thursday night, along with Directorate of Education (DoE) Director Saumya Gupta, Sisodia asserted that the students were alright. The food in the school was supplied by an agency called the Jan Chetna Jagriti & Shaikshanik Vikas.
Claiming that a rat was actually found in the mid-day meal, a mother of one student stated that such negligence is unacceptable. Congress leader Kiran Walia urged for strict supervision on the cleanliness and hygenine during food preparation and demanded for an enquiry where nobody should be spared.
According to a school management committee member, one rat was thrown away while the other was was retained for inspection. In a report by The Indian Express, a senior DoE official was quoted, saying, “It is suspected that only one rat was found in the mid-day meal and we have sent it for testing. Four children have complained of vomiting, while others have stomach ache. Once it’s confirmed that it was a rat, strict action will be taken.”