A sip from a ‘smoky’ drink landed a 30 year in hospital bed with a huge hole in his stomach.
Giving information about this matter, the victim said that whatever I had said was a kind of cocktail from which the smoke was picking up. As soon as I got a sip of that drink I started feeling awkward. I felt as if I had consumed an acid. I talked to the bartender about this and he gave me a second drink. I was feeling strange but did not think about it, I drank the second drink.
Not realising that the drink was to be had after the ‘smoke’ dissipates, he downed it in one draught. What followed was extreme pain, abdomen swelling and breathlessness. The man was rushed to a hospital in Gurgaon where the doctors took him to surgery and found that there was a huge hole in his stomach which they said “was open like a book”.
What he had consumed was liquid nitrogen that has a boiling point of -195.8 degree Celsius and is used to instantly freeze food and drinks. The colourless liquid is also used to cool computers and in cryogenic medical procedures like removing warts and cancerous tissues by freezing them. When used to freeze drinks, these should only be consumed after the nitrogen has completely evaporated.
In the CT scan it was revealed that the air was passing through the stomach, due to which she could not breathe. During the operation, it was discovered that in the stomach of the victim there was a big hole due to the liquid that seemed like an open book. It was difficult to seal this hole so the doctors removed the bad part of the stomach and connected the rest to the small intestines. The man was on ventilator for three days after which his condition became stable.